Due to cost, lack of interest and participation Racing Nation will go offline on 25 February 2024

Knight back for tilt at big prizes in the social media age

RacingNation

The trainer of Gold Cup legend Best Mate has returned, posing for selfies and working out how to use Instagram

Selfies were not really a thing when Henrietta Knight handed in her trainer’s licence in 2012, but they come with the territory for a modern racing celebrity and she was stopped by several eager fans on the short walk from the paddock to the grandstand at Wincanton on Friday. “I still don’t know how to do them,” she said later. “I don’t know anything about those sort of things. When I first started training, I used to go around with a big telephone with an antennae. If I’d kept it, I could probably have sold it for a bit of money.”

A big bear hug from James Bowen, her runner’s jockey, in the paddock before the race was also a departure from the usual pre-race protocols. On a day when National Hunt racing welcomed back one of its most familiar and popular figures of recent decades, however, it felt entirely appropriate.

Continue reading...

• RacingNation changed the title to Knight back for tilt at big prizes in the social media age